Local and Lovely is the newest weekly addition to our blog. It’s our way of featuring our favorite Upper Michigan vendors and businesses. This week we are super excited to feature Casualties. Casualties is Upper Michigan’s Leading retailer for all things Skateboard, Snowboard, Shoes, Hats, And Sunglasses! They are located at 503 N. 3rd. St in beautiful downtown Marquette Michigan and has a little something for anyone. Our favorite items–all the sunglasses! Especially the “Dang” sunglasses–haha. And the owners Andy and Matt are extremely friendly and helpful, they not only showed us around their awesome store but they also were kind enough to answer some of our questions. HUGE thanks again Casualties–we are honored to feature such a great store! Make sure to stop on down and check them out!
1. When did you open Casualties on 3rd St.? Casualties first opened it’s doors on 3rd St. July 1st, 2000. Been here ever since!
2. What do you feel sets your business apart? Aside from having a number of exclusive product lines only available at Casualties (Casualties logo apparel, etc.), we set ourselves apart by being truly owner-operated. Many retail businesses are run by part time employees that don’t have the same level of enthusiasm about the job, and don’t care as much about the customers as the business owner. Every week you will find the shop’s owners (myself, Andy, and co-owner Matt) on the sales floor helping customers. We take the job seriously and know better than anyone that every customer (and every dollar!) counts in keeping the doors open. We appreciate every loyal customer that has contributed to our over 13 years of being in business!
3. What is your favorite item or items in the store? Our favorite item(s) in the store would have to be the hardgoods; skateboards, snowboard, & paddleboards. All of us are passionate about these sports and it’s always the most fun to stock and sell these items. Marquette & the U.P. in general have many opportunities to take part in these activities and Casualties is stoked to be a part of the local scene.
4. Is there any trends that you want people to know about? Casualties is a huge retailer of hats; baseball caps, etc. Last year a new product called “Brim Skins” hit the US market, and we were one of the first retailers in the country to get on board. Brim Skins are essentially a product designed to customize the brim of a hat. They sell a wide variety of patterns and prints ranging from animal prints, camouflages, comic strip characters, and more. The brand is really catching on fast, and it’s a cool product to offer, especially to those customers wanting something special and unique that you can’t get anywhere else. Say you want a Detroit Tiger’s baseball hat with pink flamingos on the brim? We’ve got you covered!
5. Any fun-facts that we should really know that would contribute even more to your coolness? Casualties screen prints all of it’s Casualties logo, and U.P. logo apparel right in house (in the shop’s basement, to be exact). One time a Casualties logo t-shirt was featured in a motion pictured titled “Catfish.” If you haven’t seen the movie, it’s a little crazy, but worth a watch for sure!