Local and Lovely is one of our favorite weekly addition to our blog. It’s a way of featuring our favorite Upper Michigan vendors and businesses. This week we have a sweet treat on the bloggity blog–Joe’s Cakes! We truly don’t know where to even begin about Joe and his incredible talent! Not only are his cake beyond delicious, but he is one of the most fun, sweet, and hilarious guys around Marquette! When people walk in the doors of the historic Landmark Inn one of the first delights they view are the perfectly decorated cakes all on display! It’s hard to save room for dessert with all the amazing food that the Landmark Inn serves, but trust me–you’ll want to splurge on a piece (or three) of his homemade creations! He is one of the top Cake Artist in the U.P. and we are so lucky our wedding clients indulge on having cake buffets and over the top decorated cakes by the master himself! It makes for grand pictures and guest delight! Personally, we’ve tried close to every cake, pie, and truffle Joe offers–and to pick a favorite is so hard when they all so delicious! We asked Joe a few Q & A about his creations that you can read below. Huge thanks again to Joe for just being Joe!
1. When did you open Joe’s Cakes? 6 years ago
2. What do you feel sets your business apart? The fact that we are a small custom bakery that never freezes our cakes sets us apart. We consider our cakes temporary works of art and approach our decorating that way.
3. What is your favorite flavor and style of cake? My favorite flavor of cake is our Sour Cream Apple Walnut Pie. My favorite style of cake is a good old fashioned buttercream cake. Simple ingredients with fun flavors done well.
4. What is a current trend that you would love people to know about? A trend that we’ve set is one of our most popular ways of doing wedding cakes. That would be our cake buffet. This may not be a mainsteam trend, as I try to stay away from trends and keep it classic. Its a great way to get a classic wedding cake and have fun with the way you offer choices to your guests.
5. Any fun-facts that we should really know that would contribute even more to your coolness? I think of every cake as an individual work of art for each bride and groom and have never repeated the same exact wedding cake in my career. In doing this, I look at my relationship with them becoming more like working with friends than a business one. Not to mention the fact that I’m frickin’ awesome! Hahaha….