Local and Lovely is the newest weekly addition to our blog. It’s our way of featuring our favorite Upper Michigan vendors and businesses. Today the blog is filled with adorable cats and dogs–even a turtle! We recently visited the wonderful local shelter named UPAWS (Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter) located in Negaunee Township. We could not love this place or the wonderful staff more–they treat all the animals with so much love and care while they await for someone to take them to their forever homes. We adopted our cat, Max, from this fantastic shelter a few years ago–and we are truly thankful to have him in our life. If you are considering getting a pet I highly recommend checking out the fantastic pets at UPAWS first! You can even check out available pets for adoption on their website!
During our recent trip we chatted with Ann, on of the board members and volunteers. She happily showed us around the place, introduced us to all the pets they have available for adoption, and answered all the questions we could ask. Thanks again to Ann and the entire crew at UPAWS! We are so honored to feature this on our blog. Below is some more helpful questions that Ann answered:
1. Where is UPAWS located? UPAWS is located approximately one mile off US-41 at 84 Snowfield Road in Negaunee Township just east of the TV-6 station. (Behind the old Airport.) We are open to the public seven days a week- 12:00PM to 4:00PM; Thursday 12:00PM to 6:30PM. Closed on Major Holidays
2. What are some common misconceptions about your shelter? UPAWS is not controlled by outside sources, nor do they receive funding from outside sources. We were founded in 1975 as the Marquette County Humane Society and are a local nonprofit charitable organization dedicated to taking care of the homeless, unwanted, abandoned and abused domestic animals here in this community. UPAWS works very hard to save homeless domestic animals lives and give them every chance at finding new loving homes.
3. What are some thing people can do to help if they can’t adopt? We need your support! Your donation will go right to work making a positive difference in the lives of homeless domestic animals in our care. We also have many volunteer tasks available at UPAWS. Call us at 475-6661 for more information or on how you can help!
4. What promotion do you have this month? October is Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month! Every new dog adoption will be offered at 25% OFF plus all adopters will receive a Free Gifts & chance to win a gift bag full of dog goodies! Nothing says “welcome home” like a wagging tail and a pair of warm brown eyes! This October, “Make your house a home…adopt a shelter dog!” All adoptions include the spay or neuter surgery, vaccines, micro chipping, free vet insurance & a discount coupon for Dr. Tim’s All Natural food with their adoption.
5. Any fun-facts that we should really know that would contribute even more to your coolness? We have so many great adoption programs to check out at the Shelter! Here’s a glance at some of the amazing programs we offer:
Lonely Hearts Club: 60 + days is a long time for a shelter pet to wait for a family. Every day, certain pets get passed over. We at UPAWS think they are very special, so special they get their own club! Click Here to read more!
Golden Paws Adoption Program: We love our Golden Paws! These wonderful pets of a senior age make great companions – they have much love to give and are ready for a loving home. Many of the pets over the age of 8 are a eligible for a reduced adoption fee!
Buddy Program: Two is sometimes better then One! Considering helping two homeless pets? Ask the UPAWS staff about current residents that are friends and would like to be re-homed together. Eligible participants for the Buddy Program are ‘Adopt One get the Buddy for HALF OFF!’
Barn Buddies: Got mice? Consider one of our Rodent Control Technicians! These kitties are looking for a warm and safe barn in exchange for chores. Offer your barn for them and they’ll offer their services. Adoption Fee only $10. Click Here to read more!
Aged to Purr-fection – Senior to Senior Cat Adoption Program: Are you looking for unconditional love? Are you a senior 60 years or older? Check out this program! UPAWS Aged to Purr-fection program is all about senior humans rediscovering the joy of having a cat in their lives. This program places senior cats 8 years or older with senior citizens who are 60 years or older. Let UPAWS help you find the love of you life! Eligible Adopters for this program will receive: FREE bag of food, FREE bag of litter, FREE litter pan, FREE kitty toy, FREE kitty dish AND the adoption fee will be WAIVED! These cats may be considered ‘senior’ but we know they are truly young at heart. They have much love and life to give their new family…could that be you?