Wedding cakes…oh heavenly sweet treats! In modern times a cake is just another way to decorate and pull together the overall look or theme, while adding a delicious desert for guest to enjoy. One of the first traditions of the idea of wedding cake began in Ancient Rome where bread was broken over the bride’s head to bring good fortune to the couple. Big or small, handmade or artfully designed–the wedding cake is a tradition that will be around for ages to come.
Here’s the a few pieces of advice when picking out that perfect cake:
1. Do a taste testing! It is one of the best parts of planning a wedding, so make sure your cake artists has something for you to try. Plus with so many flavors to choose from, a testing can help narrow down the choices.
2. Can choose just one? Then don’t! Most cake artists offer a popular option in modern times: a cake buffet! So many flavors, so many options, and smiles all around!
3. Want the pretty cake without the price? Ask about a having a fake cake that is decorated for looks, while sheet cakes are cut and served for guests!
4. Cake toppers are cool, not the plastic bride and groom figurines of the past, but all the other modern options; sugar flowers, monograms, and custom order cake toppers. Etsy has so many options to choose from alone, so before you grab something generic take a look for yourself.
5. And last, but certainly not least, do not partake in the old tradition of freezing the top of the wedding cake and eating it on the one year anniversary. It.will.taste.horrible…….trust me. Rather, save the cake for the one month or one week celebration.